Description for Find a Way to Win: Management Insights from Terry Michler, America’s All-Time Winningest Soccer Coach by Dan Coughlin, with a foreword by world-renowned executive coach, Marshall Goldsmith, author of MOJO and What Got You Here Won’t Get You There.
Find a Way to Win is about achieving team excellence in business and in soccer.
In business, organizations don’t achieve results and neither do individuals. All business results are accomplished through group performances.
Business consultant Dan Coughlin spent four months studying the coaching approaches of Terry Michler, America’s all-time winningest soccer coach. He wanted to uncover Michler’s methods for creating extraordinary group performances year after year. In 39 seasons Terry Michler’s CBC High School soccer team has won over 800 games, six state championships, and six state runner-up trophies. He has been named National Coach of the Year by the NSCAA. Coughlin interviewed Terry Michler’s former players, opposing coaches, assistant coach, mentors, and protégés to increase his understanding of Michler’s proven approach to building championship teams. Coughlin then converted Terry Michler’s ideas into management insights for improving group performances inside businesses.
If you are a business manager who coaches youth soccer, played soccer in high school, or enjoy learning from someone who has achieved the pinnacle of success, Find a Way to Win is the book for you. Key concepts for improving group performance include:
- Never stop learning how to be a better leader of the team.
- Consistently evaluate individual and group performance.
- Find “paired opposites” within the group to work alongside each other.
- Understand the psychological make-up of each member of the group.
- Invest far more time in observing than in directing.
- Develop problem-solvers throughout the team.
- Continually work to simplify the performance in order to improve it.
- Build relationships with team members for the long term.
- Prepare completely for success.
- Increase the purposeful efficiency of the group.
- Understand the competition in great detail.
- Develop the heart of a champion.
Find a Way to Win provides you with a practical blueprint to create extraordinary teamwork in any industry. Use the practical ideas in this book to win in the marketplace and on the soccer pitch.
“Find a Way to Win provides great insights, practical methods, and wonderfully useful ideas that business managers and coaches alike can use in all different sorts of situations to build great teams. Read it and you’ll know all the secrets to building an extraordinary team!”
– Marshall Goldsmith, executive coach and million-selling author of the New York Times best sellers, MOJO and What Got You Here Won’t Get You There.
“Find a Way to Win is a great read for both the soccer enthusiast and business leader! Dan Coughlin captures the essence of Terry Michler’s coaching philosophy in this book. Terry’s experience and vision for the game resonate well beyond the lines of a soccer pitch.”
– Dan Flynn, CEO/Secretary General, United States Soccer Federation
“The Dutch National Team made ‘Total Soccer’ the most powerful soccer strategy in the world. Terry Michler, a devotee of Dutch soccer, won the most soccer games in U.S. history using ‘Attacking Soccer,’ and we sold more beer than any other brewer in the world using our business version of it called, ‘Total Marketing.'”
– Denny Long, former President, Anheuser-Busch, Inc.
“Dan Coughlin did a masterful job of converting Terry Michler’s soccer coaching wisdom into practical ideas business managers can use right away to improve results. Buy it, read it, and apply the ideas immediately!”
– Jerry Yeagley, former Indiana University Head Soccer Coach, winner of six NCAA Division I National Championships
“Find a Way to Win is packed with winning strategies that have worked for Terry Michler in soccer and will serve as a compass for business managers who dream of building first-class businesses. I know Terry well, and I know this book will give every reader value in which way to go. Study it carefully!”
– Jan Pruijn, Head of Technical, AJAX Capetown, Director, Soccer Active
“Find a Way to Win provides a blueprint for all organizations looking to go to the next level. As a former CBC soccer player in the early ’80’s, the thing that still impresses me today is Terry’s passionate desire to always get better. There is always another level he aspires to for his teams to reach.”
– Mike England, President, CBC High School
To order your copy of Find a Way to Win click here.